Our Mission is to show and share Godís love
- We welcome all visitors with an open church
- We are committed to outreach, prayer and encouraging all to participate
Our Vision is to seek:
- To keep the Church open as a place of worship
- To remain a key focus of the village
- To provide opportunities for Worshipping God & Caring for all
As a Church we have a small core congregation, which is boosted by members of Tatenhill Church when they do not have a service and wedding couples and their families who join us on a regular basis whilst preparing for their marriages.
Sunday Services:The normal pattern of services:
|1st Sunday||9.00 am||Holy Communion|
|2nd Sunday||6.00 pm||Evensong|
|3rd Sunday||9.00 am||Holy Communion|
|4th Sunday||No Service|
|5th Sunday||9.00 am||Matins|
|(Check details with the Churchwardens)|
Vicar: Rev'd Andrew Ridley Tel: 01283 712359 Click here to email Andrew
Dunstall is a small and attractive hamlet, with a handful of cottages, two or three farms, and lies just to the north of Barton-under-Needwood and 10 miles from the Cathedral City of Lichfield. The Parish is comprised mainly of the privately owned Dunstall Estate. St Maryís Church & Church Hall are the focal point of the village together with the separately owned Dunstall Hall, which also includes the village cricket ground.
Dunstall has only 45 dwellings in the electoral area giving an adult population of 82. Few children live in the village. In addition to the houses in the village, the Parish includes some 50 houses located on the northbound side of Lichfield Road (the A38), although people who live here have to pass through either Barton Parish or Tatenhill Parish to get to Dunstall. Despite regular mail drops people living here do not generally use the church. Our Parish Share is calculated on a parish population of 215.
About our Church
St Mary's was planned by the famous Arkwright family who lived at Dunstall Hall before moving to Cromford in Derbyshire and who provided £12,000 for the Church, Parsonage and School. The work was completed by John Hardy who then owned the Estate. The Church was consecrated in 1853.
Immediately on your left is the font, carved in Caen stone with four pillars in serpentine. The carved panels depict Moses striking the rock, the Baptism of Jesus and Noah and the Ark.
Further round to the left is the organ which is regarded as unique and probably constructed to Arkwright's specification. Built by Bishop and installed at the time of consecration, later electrified and restored, it is considered of historical importance.
At the west end of the nave is the towering stained glass window in memory of John Hardy and Isobel his wife. The four lights are dedicated to the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and David. Inscribed below "The goodly fellowship of the prophets praise thee"
The original floors were of stone and were replaced with the existing oak blocks by
Sir Robert Douglas.
The pulpit is in Caen stone. The carved foliage is in serpentine. The lectern opposite is also in serpentine with a stub pillar and figure of an angel with the inscription "Thanks be to God who spared our Soldier Sons 1914-1919. R & M H".
The Chancel walls are lined with local Alabaster.
The great East window is by Thomas Willement. The Three lights depict The Birth, The Crucifiction, and The Resurrection. Above are Lamb and Flag; Pelican in her piety, and sacred monograms in tracery
Below is a fine Reredos added in March 1890 in memory of Sir John Hardy and Laura his wife. The work was carried out by Farmer and Brindley in Derbyshire alabaster. The centre panel represents the Annunciation, and in the side niches stand St John the Baptist and St John the Evangelist. Either side stand Angels on columns of red African Marble.
At the north East corner of the Chancel is the entrance to the Lady Chapel. Once the vestry, the conversion was devised by Sir Robert and Lady Douglas who owned the Estate following the Hardy family.
The first window in the Chancel also by Thomas Willement has two lights ; Jesus and the Children ; The Good Shepherd, The second by Burlison and Gryllis shows David and Jonathan, Harp below and Jesus and the Beloved Disciple at the last supper, Eagle below. In tracery the Arms of the Hardy family.
At the East end of the South Aisle the window by Burlison and Gryllis is in memory of Sir Reginald Hardy Bart. 2 lights depicting St George slaying the Dragon. The head of George is that of Sir Reginald. At the top are the Arms of Staffordshire County Council, Staffordshire Yeomanry, Eton College, Balliol College Oxford and the Inner Temple. In tracery. Arms of Hardy and Gladstone.
The final stained window in the South Aisle is by Kempe and Tower. 1 light depicting St Lucy in memeory of Lucy Marion Hardy. Inscribed "Lucia mimica di ciascum crudele."
Along the length of the South Aisle wall is a stone bench ending with a lion couchant. Between the windows an Alabaster slab inscribed with those from the Parish who fell in the first world war. It is assumed that no-one from the parish was lost in the second world war.
The Tower Clock is of Birdcage Design by John Moore & Sons of London 1853. The Clock was restored and electrified with automatic winding in October 1998 in memory of Sir Robert and Lady Douglas, referred to on a brass plaque below the west window.
The Bell Chamber comprises a peel of 3 Bells cast in 1853 by C & G Mears, Whitechapel, London. They are inscribed "Glory to God in the Highest", "Goodwill towards men", "On Earth Peace". They were re-hung with new roller bearings in 1930 by John Taylor of Loughborough. The ringing chamber contains a considerable number of interesting pencilled graffiti.
The Church is described by Nikolaus Pevsner in 'The Buildings of England' as "A typical Estate Church". St Mary's has benefited greatly from the interest and support of a succession of Estate owners, particularly Sir Robert Douglas and the late Sir Stanley Clarke.
The work of the PCC in maintaining the Church is ongoing and can only continue with the support of its worshippers
Return to top
Parish records for St Mary, Dunstall
Historic records of St Mary, Dunstall have been deposited at Staffordshire Record Office, where they are available for consultation by the public. These include the parish registers of baptisms 1854-2006, marriages 1854-2006 and burials 1854-1908.
A catalogue of these records is available in:
"Gateway to the Past" (http://www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk) - the online catalogue of the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service. The Archive Service's website (http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/archives) provides further information on planning a visit to the office to consult records, should you wish to do so.